Saturday, August 21, 2010

I need to cut my dog's nails. The problem is that she gets very scared and tries to get away.?

I am looking for an OTC, or Home Remedy that would sedate her so that I can do a good job on her nails.I need to cut my dog's nails. The problem is that she gets very scared and tries to get away.?
The best thing to do is to get her used to having her feet messed with. My best friend is a professional dog groomer and trainer, and she plays a game with all the dogs called ';My Paw';.





Hold the dog in your lap in such a way that it can't get away from you. Grab the dog's paw and hold onto it gently, but do not let the dog have its paw back until it is calmer, or until you are ready to give it back. Once you can hold the paw, start massaging the toes, and repeat the ';My Paw'; process. Once you can hold it, and massage the toes, bring the nail clippers out and pretend to clip the nails, again playing ';My Paw';





Speak in a very soothing voice the whole time. Remember it is not what you say, but how you say it.





Eventually she will learn that you are not going to hurt her.I need to cut my dog's nails. The problem is that she gets very scared and tries to get away.?
My dog can NOT bare to have his nails cut. It is an event! It takes a muzzle and atleast 3 people to hold him down and cost about 5 bucks at the groomers. He's drama king, but when it's over he's fine.
Hi Jason, if your dog initially resists getting his nails trimmed you will most likely need to spend a lot more time getting him used to the procedure. As with a puppy, it鈥檚 a good idea to start getting your dog used to having his feet handled before you attempt to clip your dog鈥檚 nails. Be very patient and don鈥檛 rush into the procedure.





Bring out the clipping tools ahead of time and let your dog become familiar with them. It is important that you remain calm. If you鈥檙e nervous, your dog will sense it and associate fear or uncertainty with dog nail trimming. If your dog is nervous use gentle reassurance, but don鈥檛 coddle your dog. Let your dog know that you expect him to behave, but don鈥檛 push it too far. Please look article: http://www.askedweb.com/askedweb/Nails/





Dog nail trimming is not painful if you use a sharp nail trimmer and don鈥檛 clip the nails too short. A dull trimmer can put a lot of pressure on your dog's toenail before it actually cuts through the nail. If this happens your dog may feel an uncomfortable pinching sensation. This is because the vein in the toenail is being squeezed. To avoid this always make sure that you're using a sharp pet nail trimmer.





Use only trimmers designed for pets. Ask your veterinarian or a groomer for advice about what types of nail trimmers are best for your dog and how to use them properly. Please look article: http://www.askedweb.com/askedweb/How_To_鈥?/a>


Never attempt to trim your dog's nails with clippers designed for use on humans.


Jason Homan
Try using a Dremel instead of a clipper. Many dogs that don't care to have their nails cut are much calmer with the Dremel. Also, try to work on your dog's nails after you exercised your dog. She might be too tired to resist.


Good luck.
I have the same problem with both my dogs. The one bites at me, the other pees herself. I'm really interested to see what advice people give you. Thanks for asking such a great question!
I had the same problem too, but I took her to a local groomers and they cut them in 30 secs and didn't even charge. The vets will normally do it too, It they charge, it's normally not very much:)
let the dog check the clippers out for a while. try doing one nail at a time but take breaks in between. I had the same problem, did this and it worked
I take mine to the groomers... 5 bucks and a whole lot less headache =D
I've got the same thing with my dog.





Don't drug your dog, please. Get help, hold her down, don't coddle her. She's got to learn that she must submit to having her nails clipped, but that nothing bad will happen to her and there's no reason to be afraid.





Also, it's important that you're calm and not apprehensive about her reaction. Your dog takes all her cues from you.
Bring her 2 a groomer or a vet. But if she feels better w/ u around, y don't u ask the vet or groomer if u r allowed 2 accompany him in his teatment. After all, it would be easier 4 them as well right???
Please dont drug the dog. You can get someone to hold the dog while you are doing it. Get a mask to go over the dogs mouth so the dog don't bite either one of you. or you could also take the dog to the vet.
Well there is no quick fix to get your dogs to allow you to cut their nails. But I have found that if you play with the dogs paws it will desensitize them to you touching them and eventually allow you to cut their nails without any problem. All you should have to do is when they are just laying next to you touch and pet on their paws and when they do not fight with you about touching them give a treat. Your dog will soon learn that your not going to hurt them and allow you, without hesitation, to cut and groom them.





I have had a couple of dogs that just refused to allow it to happen at first, but with time and a little patience it became easier. Now when I go to cut my current dogs nails she just lays there and when she is all done she eagerly waits for her treat for a job well done.
Just take her to the groomers or the vet they usually do it for cheap and its easier then trying to do it yourself.
Holding her down and making her submit?!? What a terrible suggestion. Gradual desensitization is a much better idea.





http://dogliness.blogspot.com/2006/06/im鈥?/a>





http://www.associatedcontent.com/article鈥?/a>
You can try the Bach's Rescue Remedy... It might calm her down enough to allow you to do her nails.


You can also slowly get her used to the whole idea.. Leaving the clippers around, touching her feet all the time.. Letting her know that you aren't going to hurt her, allowing her to hear the sound of the clippers..


Some people have great luck filing the nails instead, or using a dremel tool on dogs that don't like their nails clipped.. Becareful the dremel tool tho if you have long hair. I talked to someone who got her hair caught in it and it pulled a plug of skin and hair right out of her head before she got it stopped!
Clipping a dog's nails is tricky.If the nails are dark, you can't see where the life ends in it and might hurt him/her.Suggest you let the vet do it.Other way is loads of running , it will wear the nails of naturally.
you need to train her properly. do not sedate her.





dogs paws are extremely sensitive. even a really well trained dog will still flinch on occassion while having nails cut.


a dogs nails are NOT like humans nails - they go much deeper into the bone/flesh of the toe.





also, be very careful when cutting her nails. its best to cut a very small amount, leave it for a week, then cut another small amount.


this is because a vein runs down the nail - do NOT cut this vein, its very painful, will bleed a lot and can get a nasty infection in the dogs paw/leg.


.


.
Get a friend to help number one. I have my girlfriend hold my dog and put some peanut butter on a spoon and have her give it to him to distract him. Also, to avoid cutting too close, I cut his nails maybe every 10 days and just cut a little off so as to not go too far and cut the quick (the nerve in the nail that will bleed if you cut it). If you do cut the quick just quickly blot it with some paper towel for a few minutes. Then just mix a little corn starch and water and it will make a nice paste. Just apply the paste to the nail to close it. He'll be fine though.
I use to have a problem with my dog not wanting me to cut her nails, she would whine and pull away from me. I started having the groomer cut her nails, this way she wouldn't be scared of me. Since she had a fear of having her nails cut I told the groomer about her fear, I told them that they may want to use a muzzle just in case.





Try taking your dog for walks, that does help keep the nails shorter. The dog seems to wear down their nails as the walk on the sidewalks. I use to walk my dog every day and I never had to have any one cut her nails. It was only after I became ill that I wasn't able to take her for walks every day when I needed the groomer to cut her nails.





I'm sure that every thing will work out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment