Thursday, August 5, 2010

What is the best way to cut a toddlers (16 months old) nails? This was never a problem until recently.?

Things I have tried: In her sleep, she wakes up, here toes are very sensitive, She is no longer sleeping as deeply. I've even tried creeping into her room in the middle of the night. While another person holds her and reads a book, forget it. I had her watch me trim my own nails and she screamed. Her toe nails are getting long (4wks). Her finger nails aren't as bad (only 1 wk).What is the best way to cut a toddlers (16 months old) nails? This was never a problem until recently.?
I was having the same problem. My daughter (14 mo) has been screaming and fighting me for about 4 months now and I recently discovered that if I put her in the high chair she can struggle as much. I put on the country music channel so she can dance (she really just bobs her head and wiggles a little) while she is in the chair and then I cut her nails. She is slightly wiggly (because of the music) but doesn't scream.What is the best way to cut a toddlers (16 months old) nails? This was never a problem until recently.?
Tell her if she didn't get her nails cut, she'll turn into a monster. Show her some pictures of monster with long nails.
lol bless they are little critters arnt they...well hya does well if i give her a looli while i cut them and hailey who is now 4 likes to do her own.....ive also given hya (the baby) a dabe of lotion on the hand im not cutting and let her rub it in on her legs keeps her occupied and they love lotion!! hope something works for you!
my daughter used to scream and fight until it felt like i was pulling her fingers out of socket.





try to make a game out of it... 1, 2, 3, snip! 1, 2, 3, snip! now i can snip my daughters (17 mos) nails in less than a minute!! toes in another minute!





bribery is a good option for this also, candy, stuffed animal... give her a piece of chocolate while you snip one hand.
try doing it in the bathtub. My son likes to wiggle and scream and cry at me too, but in the bathtub I tell him to be good or he'll slip on his butt and get hurt. Of course I have ahold of him the whole time, he isn't going to get hurt, but he doesn't think of that.
My 11mths old baby girl also likes to wiggle and scream at me when I try to cut her finger nail. I think all kids don't like cutting nails.


But I try to do this when she is hungry and drink her milk. I just asked my hubby to hold the bottle for her while I try to cut her nail.


As she is so concentrate on the milk, she will let me cut it. For me, I think this is the best way to have her nails cut.


Hope it help u too.
Try having someone sit on the opposite side that is being trimmed and blow bubbles. Blowing the really big ones so the baby can pop it helps us! Good Luck!
This one's a toughie - my daughter 2 yrs has gone through phases where she SCREAMS when you try to cut her nails. Different things work at different times.





Sometimes it worked to do, ok it's mommies turn, now it's babie's turn.





For toenails I'd put her in her highchair to feed her. This has the dual effect of sortof strapping her down and distracting her with her FAVORITE thing - food. I'd also tell her if she was good, she could have ';pink milk'; (she loves the color pink and loves strawberry, so strawberry milk is heaven, and I save it for this sort of special bribery)





Also I've had some luck doing it mixed with a tickle game. Got her used to the ';this little piggy'; game, then added this little piggy gets a trim.





Never do it when they're in a horrible mood.





Worst case, I had my husband hold her down, and did it as fast as I could, talking as I went. One piggy, two piggy (almost done!) Threeeee piggy. OH you're doing SO good! (she's screaming) Almost DONE! four piggy... one more piggy... then ALL DONE!! good girl! Then we had to get her calmed down. Luckily this did not appear to scar her for life, and actually I think it made it easier next time b/c she realized she couldn't fuss to get out of it.
my daughter still has that problem when she was 3 i had to hold her down and she would put up such a fight just let them grow i do that with her and they just peal off at the end when it gets too long, or try fileing them down
I wish I hand an answer for you, but my 14 month old hasn't let me in months...it's a fight to get them done and he screams bloody murder everytime either me or my fiance tries. I don't know what it is that gets them like that.
Try rewarding her with something she likes after you cut each nail or maybe even as you cut the nails. Let her watch a program she likes on television or sing to her. Do not act like you are nervous about doing it, even though she has been upset in the past. Approach her as if you expect no problems because she may be able to sense your feelings about how she will react.
i put my 14 month old on her changing table.. and put my arm over her ans dut her toes... she usually plays with my hair.. and i can get them cut..


her fingers are trickier... my hubbie usually has to play with her.. or i put her in her highchair and give her a cookie or something.. and she eats it while i cut her one hand.. and then i switch. Good luck!
Can you try a song or game. This is the way we cut the toe nails ect... Something fun. Or maybe if we cut your toe nail you get one M%26amp;M for each one cut. I am sure its a stage so be patient she will be better later on.
Try getting her to file them with a simple nail file (the paper kind) while you watch. Make it a ';beauty day'; where when she is done you paint her toenails with some non-toxic nail polish. Worked for my niece at least :)
I have this problem with my 7 year old son. He screams, cries, kicks and slaps when it is time for his nails to be cut. His fingers aren't as bad, but watch out when you go to cut his toenails. My 22 month old isn't as hard though. He will actually just sit on my lap and let me cut his fingernails and toenails. I guess I got lucky. Tell her that she can have whatever her fave treat is if she lets you cut all of them.
ok I didnt think that this would work but it did. Just clip the side of the nail and then tell them to rip it off the rest of the way.It should be soft enough to just come right off. My kids think it is funny to get to rip it off. So I get no fighting when nail clipping time comes around. Try it and see it worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment